Thursday, August 30, 2012

My big question is, do the attributes of a hero remain the same over time?  This question grabbed my attention because I have always had a fascination with hero based stories.  Superheroes have always been extremely interesting to me and the idea of the hero is fascinating.  My interest in this subject started when I was a little kid watching The Mask of Zorro for the first time.  I was so intrigued and so enveloped in the story that for the next seven Halloweens, I dressed as Zorro.  The idea that a man would put himself in jeopardy for the good of the people struck me powerfully.  From then on I was obsessed with everything hero.  Whether it was Batman, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, these characters sparked my interest in the make up of what it means to be a hero.  Some books that I have read in previous english classes that relate to the subject are The Old Man and the Sea and Hamlet.  Both of these works of literature contribute to the inner workings of a hero.  They both illustrate different qualities that a hero needs in different ways.  A series of movies that really shows the attributes of a hero is The Dark Knight Trilogy.  These modern superhero movies go inside the mind of a man who saves others and demonstrates the attributes apparent in a hero.  A hero in reality that relates to my big question is Louie Zamperini, whose actions on the track and in war are truly heroic.

Response to big question using Oedipus Rex

When I think of the story of Oedipus in relation to the attributes of a hero, it reminds me of all the tragic hero stories I have ever read.  So obviously this makes me think that the attributes of a hero remain the same over time.  Oedipus shares multiple characteristics with other tragic heroes, more specifically, Hamlet.  Both these characters have trouble facing what they have to do.  Hamlet, struggles to actually avenge his father, and Oedipus struggles to face the truth regarding his father's death.  Not only do both characters find it hard to complete the task laid before them, but both involve the death of their father.  So an attribute that seems to transcend time for heroes is a relationship with the hero's father.  Also, the inability at first to complete the task that defines their heroism.

No comments:

Post a Comment